Monday, February 11, 2008

Today we hit Combe Obscure

We went to a new area today called Combe Obscure. Adrian and I got a slightly late start today but we made up for it in mileage. It wasn't leading but it was fast and fun. Combe Obscure is located on the other side of Mount Ventoux so it was slight driver.

The angle at Combe Obscure is pretty low with mostly technical and slab climbing. The majority of the routes were 5c and 6b which in part was how we manage to pull through some many in a single day. By the end of the day we had cranked out 23 climbs mostly top roped.

It was really quite fun. This is the first time on the trip where I've gotten into the rhythm/flow of climbing as the rock was easy to read and tended to have a climbing angle that is much more like Squamish.

For my part I did: Vision (5b), Zizibien (6a+), La Martre (6c+), Pas glop pas glop (6b+), La Calaoe (6a), La Puce (5c), Angoisse (5b), Tarton coquine (5c+) and Tete de Gondolf (5b).

Erin and Carrie if you guys come out here this will likely be your first day unless I find something better between then and now.

I also got to talking to Adrian and he suggested that it might be good for me to write an article for Gripped or something like that. I figured I could write an article about South Eastern France from the 5.11 climber's perspective. James, you always complain that you are sick of hearing about some guy who pulled 5.15+ and can't relate. I know 5.11 might be a touch on the low side but if all goes well I should creep into the mid 5.12s by the end of it. What do you guys thing, should I write something?

I hope you are all well out there on the other side of the planet, yet so near on the Intarweb.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just sat down and connected to the intarweb to catch up on your posts. Sounds like you're having a great time. I'd be interested to hear more of your thoughts on fear, fear and climbing, and fear and life. It's a topic that lives at the forefront of my thoughts and I have some fairly strong opinions on it. Keep it coming!

Write an article for Gripped?!? Sounds like a great idea. I think you'd have a lot of interesting insight, being a "fairly" new climber and one that's been sorta banging his head against the 11+, 12 ceiling for a little while. I'm sure this trip will see you smash through it with authority so at the very least, make sure you journal it in detail in your blog.

Miss you tonnes.